MEMPHIS, TN- (WMC-TV) - A mother and her child were burned in a South Memphis house fire Friday morning.
Fire crews received the call that a house was on fire on the 800 block of Cavalier Drive around 3 a.m.
A mother and her two sons were inside the home at the time.
A 7-year-old boy was taken to LeBonheur Children's Hospital with second degree burns on his hand. His mother was taken to The MED to be treated for smoke inhalation.
"They were minor injuries from what we understand but as soon as we can, we're going to get to the hospital to see about it," said Marvin Hill, who owns the home.
Hill owns the house. He says Misty Smalls, a single mother, rents it with her two sons.
Lieutenant Wayne Cooke with the Memphis Fire Department says the house has no working utilities and a candle was found in one of the back bedrooms.
Hill says he is just glad things were not worse.