Free tax preparation at your local library | Business
It’s tax season! Free filing services are available at your local library branch. Follow the link online taxes to the MPLIC website If you are planning to e-file your taxes this year or for the list of library brances free tax assistance schedule.
For 2012 Tax Filing Season, MPLIC will provide the following services:
AAPR – Bartlett, Central & Cordova
VITA -- South
Mobile VITA -- All branches except Bartlett, Central, and Whitehaven
AAPR volunteers provide free federal income tax preparation/filing assistance for all but give preference to seniors.
Bartlett, Central and Cordova are the AARP sites in our library system.
Bartlett Branch Library Schedule
Mondays & Tuesdays 10:00am -- 1:30pm
Monday, Feb 6th – Tuesday, April 17th
Bartlett AARP coordinator: Bob Neal 487-5099
Benjamin Hooks Central Library Schedule
Mondays through Saturdays 10:00am – 1:30pm
Wednesday, Feb 1st – Thursday, April 17th
Saturday, April 14th 10:00am – 4:30pm
(Meeting Rooms A, B & C)
Central AARP coordinator: Pat Rogoski 274-2389
Cordova Branch Library Schedule
Thursdays 10:00am – 3:00pm
Thursday, Feb 2nd -- Thursday, April 12th
Cordova AARP coordinator: Richard Mahoney 432-5300
VITA volunteers provide free federal income tax preparation/filing assistance for individuals and families with household
income of $49,000 or less. South Branch is the only regular VITA site in our library system.
South Branch VITA Site Schedule:
Saturdays 10:30 -1pm
Saturday, Feb 11th – Saturday, April 14th
VITA Coordinator: Yvonne Howard 433-4334
Mobile VITA Services:
In order to help VITA provide this needed service to the many underserved communities, starting last tax season,
our library system has partnered with VITA to provide “Mobile VITA” Service in most of our library branches throughout the system.
All branches, except Bartlett, Central, and Whitehaven will be a VITA mobile site. Please see attached dates and times for
each of the participating branches – sorted by zip codes, by branch, and by dates.
What is a Mobile VITA?
- Mobile VITA is not a “VITA-mobile.” It is actually two VITA staff and a group of VITA volunteers go to branches (see attached schedules
for specific dates at library branches (sorted by Zip Codes, by dates and by branches)
- Mobile VITA is a first come first served by appointment only tax preparation system.
- Public can make reservation either in person or by telephone to each individual branch prior to the assigned dates
- Library staff will take customer’s names and phone numbers.
- There can be up to two reservations at one time. Each reservation will be about 20 minutes;
They can help up to 6 customers in one hour.
n This year, there will be two full-time tax preparers on any given day.
- 2012 Mobile VITA Reservation Form is attached. Feel free to make any changes to the form if needed.
New this year:
- Tax forms are out today in Central Library and all branches! We may not receive 1040 Instructions until late Jan and early
- January 13th, IRS starts accepting electronic filing
- 2012 Tax Season – filing deadline will be Tuesday, April 17th.
(Don’t forget: For tax preparation services outside our library system, please check Linc’s Tax Wiki for detail information www.memphislibrary.org/linc/taxaide/index.cfm
For more information contact Wang-Ying Glasgow, (901)-415-2709
Information provided by Memphis Public Library
Upcoming Events near South Memphis
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Shelby Co. leaders vote against being a part of convention center expansion study
- Council delays vote again on purchase of AutoZone Park
- RACE DAY GUIDE: Thousands prepare for St. Jude Memphis Marathon
- Memphians will find no room at downtown hotels
- Summary reveals Memphis would pay at least $25M for AutoZone Park