Filing a consumer complaint the "wise" way | News
(WMC-TV) - I'm the court of last resort.
If you have a consumer complaint, you should be coming to me last. So many viewers with consumer issues hit me up first without nary a phone call to the business or service provider.
Sometimes, a phone call is all it takes.
Other times, it takes a checklist.
The Federal Citizen Information Center of the General Services Administration offers a nice 'step-by-step' in complaining the "wise" way at this link: http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer/complaint.shtml.
Click there for details, but the main steps include:
* START A FILE. KEEP A LOG OF EVERY CONTACT'S NAME & NUMBER.
* CONTACT THE SELLER, RETAILER OR MERCHANT.
* CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER (PARTICULARLY IF THE PRODUCT OR SERVICE INCLUDES A MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY).
* CONTACT THE INDUSTRY'S TRADE ASSOCIATIONS (Example: local restaurants are typically members of a local restaurant association. They must conform to the association's rules and expectations of service).
* CONTACT YOUR LOCAL & STATE CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY OR THE AGENCY WHICH REGULATES THAT SPECIFIC INDUSTRY.
* CONTACT YOUR LOCAL, STATE OR REGIONAL BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (www.bbb.org).
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.